You may some times feel the need to create a network connection between two computers or laptops to share some files. Or maybe you may just want to share an internet connection. Windows 7 and Vista come with ready to build feature to create a quick wireless network connection so that you can connect directly with another computer or laptop without the need of a router. Following are the steps:
- Open the Windows Control Panel, and then click “Network and Internet”.
- The Network and Internet window will appear. Now click on “Network and Sharing Center”.
- The Network and Sharing Center window will appear. Click “Set up a New Connection or Network”.
- The “Set Up a Connection or Network” dialog box will appear. From the list, select “Set Up A Wireless Ad Hoc (Computer-To-Computer) Network” Network” option and click “Next”.
- Click “Next” again and it will ask you to type a Network name and select the Security settings as shown in the screenshot below.
- Select a good password. Click on “Help Me Choose” link next to it to know which security type to select. The default security type is WPA2-Personal. The security key 8-63 alphanumeric characters and is case-sensitive. You can optionally select the check boxes to hide characters for your security key and save this network for future use.
- After you’re done, click “Next”, your ad hoc net-work will become ready for use! A confirmation page shows your ad hoc network settings.
Now in the “Network And Sharing Center” you can choose what to share as you can see from the screenshot alongside.
In order to Share an Internet Connection, click “View Status” next to the connection that you want to share. Now click on the Properties button which you will find under Activity. Click on the Sharing tab and tick the checkbox where it says ‘Allow Other Network Computers To Connect Through This Computer’s Internet Connection”. Under Home Networking Connection select “Wireless network Connection” and click “OK”.
You’ll see your connection listed under Wireless Network Connection on the other computer. Simply connect from there and you’re done sharing the internet connection.